Tip #3 - Exam Season Series: Starting; the hardest part!

Assalamu Alaykum lovelies!

So this is a late post I know, I'm sorry for that.

But, I am back now so let's get to it.

This is the last post for the exam series. I'm kind of excited because that also means that I am also almost done with my exams! 2 more to go people, only 2 more!

Today's tip has to do with what I find as the hardest part of exam season. I can plan and make flash cards no problem, but when it comes to putting in the hours of studying I start slacking. 

I find that for myself, it's hardest to get started and in the mood of studying but once I get to it I'm fine.





So here are a few tips on how to get started that have worked for me for the most part. I have to change it up a bit sometimes but this is what I usually do. 


I start off by treating studying as a routinely thing. You know how people have morning routines and nightly routines, well I have study routines that I put in place as a way to tell my brain that it's time to study now. 

The routines starts with me wearing something comfortable but "professional". I like to make the environment where I study almost exactly like the environment at school where I am most productive.

I call these my homework clothes. They range from an oversized shirt with leggings and a pair of nerd glasses to a more sophisticated look with me wearing my abaya (a religious dress). On a side note, I like to wear my abaya while I am home-working on islamic studies since it seems fitting. 



lol at my make-shift tie there. (It's actually a belt from a dress)

Here are my nerd glasses. 



They are huge and cover a good portion of my cheek. But they make me feel smart, so I like to wear them to get motivated. Feel smart, think smart? (I don't even think that's a saying, but just role with it.)

Next, I prep my workspace. I have this really cool laptop holder thingy that I actually use to put my books on so I can see them better. I don't use it for its actual purpose because I don't find it comfortable, and anyway placing my books on it to study is so much better. 

I also make sure I have a water bottle at hand, because I like to stay hydrated when I study. 

As far as eating while studying goes, I don't do it because it makes my fingers dirty which makes my notes messy and I get pretty into my food sometimes and forget about homework so there's that. But if it works for you then go ahead, do what you gotta do. 

Once I get my books set up and water bottle filled I bring out my pencil case. 





I strongly advise you guys to invest in a pencil case that opens up like this. 





That way you only keep what you really need in there, and when you open it up you can see what's in it and everything is easy to find, easy to reach.

All of this works to get me started but, there are days where I do all of this and still find myself just sitting on my phone stalking people's Instagrams or whatever, you know how it goes. 

When I find myself doing this I know I have to pull out the 'big guns'. 

The 'big guns' entail:

1) turning off wi-fi
2) setting up a timer on my phone.





Usually I set it to 30 minutes and challenge myself to study for the entire time till the timer runs out. By that time, I am so into my work I just keep going. At this point my workspace looks a lot like this: 





And since I turned off my wi-fi, I'm not tempted to check twitter or  send a quick snapchat. Nope, it's all about work after the big guns come into play. 

That's about it! InshaAllah (God-willing) in the future I'll update this since this routine keeps changing things in it.

Anyway, stay cool and be awesome!

Peace, 

L.

Comments

Popular Posts